160 years ago Moravian families from Germany, Hopedale PA, and German-speaking areas in Ohio migrated to Carver County. There was land here, work and opportunity, and the desire to build community for spiritual care, religious instruction, mission and outreach. After a few years, these folks requested that the Moravian Church provide a resident pastor and were sent Brother Martin Erdmann, an American Bible Society minister, to support and encourage these Moravians and their neighbors in their faith. On January 1, 1858, the Chaska congregation was organized, with Br. Erdmann establishing preaching stations in members’ homes, at Zoar, Lake Auburn (Laketown), Shakopee, Henderson, and Bongard’s. The fellowships at Zoar and Lake Auburn were able to continue as congregations. With much help from Br. Henry Gerdsen and a donation of land by John Holtmeier in 1863, the folks at Lake Auburn built a log church on the spot now occupied by the Cemetery. 15 years later, the congregation laid a cornerstone, raised, and dedicated a new brick building on November 17, 1878.
These are a few of the causes and agencies that are close to our hearts. We hope you’ll take some time to learn more about them, and consider offering volunteer and/or financial support.